How long does it take for a collaborative divorce to be effective in ny?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

we want a separation that is fast and civil. there are no children and no finances that need discussing. we just want to move on with our lives...

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . If you and your spouse sit down with an attorney tomorrow, agree on the details, and complete the necessary forms correctly, you could be divorced sometime in January. You can search the attorney profiles here on AVVO to find an attorney in your area. Good luck!

2. Howard A. Schwartz

Answered . There are many variables. Some counties process divorces faster than others and even within each county some judgments get signed more quickly than others. Once all the paperwork has been completed it would normally take at least 4 to 8 weeks after filing for the divorce to become final and that would be in a quick county.

I suggest that you start the process as soon as possible, with or without counsel, and get the paperwork to court. If you can find grounds that fit, you may be able to have the divorce finalized in January or February. Good luck.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . It depends entirely upon the county in which you file and the backlog on the day you file. Some counties process uncontested divorces quite quickly - others can take six months.

4. Hayley R. Greenberg

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you are talking about a simple uncontested divorce with no stipulation it can be filed within a few weeks, but there is a backlog and it might not be signed for MANY MONTHS depending on what county you file in.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

I wish you the best of luck.