How long does it take for a collaborative divorce to be effective in ny?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Collaborative divorce

we want a separation that is fast and civil. there are no children and no finances that need discussing. we just want to move on with our lives...

1. If you and your spouse sit down with an attorney tomorrow, agree on the details, and complete the necessary forms correctly, you could be divorced sometime in January. You can search the attorney profiles here on AVVO to find an attorney in your area. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. There are many variables. Some counties process divorces faster than others and even within each county some judgments get signed more quickly than others. Once all the paperwork has been completed it would normally take at least 4 to 8 weeks after filing for the divorce to become final and that would be in a quick county.

I suggest that you start the process as soon as possible, with or without counsel, and get the paperwork to court. If you can find grounds that fit, you may be able to have the divorce finalized in January or February. Good luck.

I have been an attorney in New York for over 20 years. Feel free to view my website at Brooklynlaw.net or contact me either by phone at 718-208-6094 or via email at howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. It depends entirely upon the county in which you file and the backlog on the day you file. Some counties process uncontested divorces quite quickly - others can take six months.

4. I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you are talking about a simple uncontested divorce with no stipulation it can be filed within a few weeks, but there is a backlog and it might not be signed for MANY MONTHS depending on what county you file in.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

I wish you the best of luck.