How long does it take for a car accident settlement take from 2 yrs ago ?

Buffalo, NY |

I have 2 herniated discs in neck 3buldgeing
With no surgery! Been out of work for 2 years!

1. Your question strongly suggests that a meeting with your attorney would be appropriate. Every case has its own special circumstance. Being out of work for 2 years and suffering from the injuries that you have must be very difficult. The value of your case could be quite substantial. Draw up a list of questions to ask your lawyer at the meeting. One that might be particularly appropriate is what to expect as your case progresses. Expectations need to be addressed and managed. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

2. Every case is different. Did your lawyer attempt to reach a settlement before filing a lawsuit? That can take months. Once the case is put in suit, it can take several years to get through discovery and through the various court pre-trial conferences before getting a trial date.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. There are a lot of factors that can dictate whether you will receive a settlement or will need to take your case to trial to win an award. A personal injury case can take anywhere from 2-5 years depending on type of accident, injuries and the insurance company on the other side. If you are Not satisfied with the way your attorney is handling the case contact the attorney and ask for a meeting to get an update. If you are still hesitant of continuing with that attorney than consult with another attorney about taking the case over. There is no additional cost to you to change attorneys and you may benefit from finding someone who will communicate better with you.

4. This sounds like you and your lawyer need to have a visit to discuss expectations. It can indeed take several years to resolve a claim.

5. Cases like yours could take many months. If you are currently in the dark about the status of your case you need to talk to your lawyer as soon as possible. With email and cell phones there is no excuse for you not knowing the status of your claim. If you get no satisfaction hire a new lawyer.

6. Without questioning the methods of your lawyer, I think you should consult with your lawyer regarding the nature the claim as well as his expectations. If he does not seem to have a clear idea what is happening with your claim, you may want to seek a second opinion from another experienced attorney specializing in motor vehicle injury claims.

7. Get a status update from your lawyer.