How long does it take for a car accident settlement take from 2 yrs ago ?

Asked 12 months ago - Buffalo, NY

I have 2 herniated discs in neck 3buldgeing
With no surgery! Been out of work for 2 years!

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

12

Answered . Every case is different. Did your lawyer attempt to reach a settlement before filing a lawsuit? That can take months. Once the case is put in suit, it can take several years to get through discovery and through the various court pre-trial conferences before getting a trial date.

2. Rafael Omar Gomez

12

Answered . There are a lot of factors that can dictate whether you will receive a settlement or will need to take your case to trial to win an award. A personal injury case can take anywhere from 2-5 years depending on type of accident, injuries and the insurance company on the other side. If you are Not satisfied with the way your attorney is handling the case contact the attorney and ask for a meeting to get an update. If you are still hesitant of continuing with that attorney than consult with another attorney about taking the case over. There is no additional cost to you to change attorneys and you may benefit from finding someone who will communicate better with you.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

11

Answered . Your question strongly suggests that a meeting with your attorney would be appropriate. Every case has its own special circumstance. Being out of work for 2 years and suffering from the injuries that you have must be very difficult. The value of your case could be quite substantial. Draw up a list of questions to ask your lawyer at the meeting. One that might be particularly appropriate is what to expect as your case progresses. Expectations need to be addressed and managed. Good luck.

4. Steven Robert Samples

11

Answered . This sounds like you and your lawyer need to have a visit to discuss expectations. It can indeed take several years to resolve a claim.

5. John L. Schroeder

8

Answered . Cases like yours could take many months. If you are currently in the dark about the status of your case you need to talk to your lawyer as soon as possible. With email and cell phones there is no excuse for you not knowing the status of your claim. If you get no satisfaction hire a new lawyer.

6. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

8

Answered . Without questioning the methods of your lawyer, I think you should consult with your lawyer regarding the nature the claim as well as his expectations. If he does not seem to have a clear idea what is happening with your claim, you may want to seek a second opinion from another experienced attorney specializing in motor vehicle injury claims.

Pro

3

Answered . Get a status update from your lawyer.