How long does it take after the decision writer has my decision for me to receive a answer about my SSi case?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hanover, PA

I had a SSi hearing last week and I called my local SSI office today to see if the ALJ made a decision yet and they said it was with the decision writer .they said I could check back later in the week.IF the ALJ made a decision that fast does it mean it was denied?

1. Kristina Street Hatcher

1

Best Answer

Answered . Not at all. Sometimes by the end of the hearing, the ALJ knows he/she will approve the case and sometimes he/she knows they will not. Sometimes they want to review evidence one more time before making a decision. In most situations Case Writers are shared by several ALJ's. We usually get decisions back in 30-45 days. Recently, we have received decisions in as few as 12 days. Each location will be somewhat different. It first depends on case load and then depends on whether the ALJ signs the decision or asks for changes before he/she signs it. At this point you just have to sit tight until you get a decision. You can certainly call back every few days if you like, but you'll need the decision in writing in order to know your next step, whether that be an approval or finding an attorney to appeal. While you are waiting, I always suggest that my clients make sure the SSA has their correct account information for automatic deposit in case they are approved and I do recommend you consult with an attorney if you are denied at this level. He/she will be able to advise you as to whether it is better to appeal or start over. Good luck to you.

2. Daphne Lori Macklin

Answered . In my experience, a decision from an SSA/ODAR hearing can take anything from a week to about two months to be issued. You did not say if you had an attorney or advocate. If you had an advocate, you should discuss your questions with him or her. Its hard to predict how an SSA ALJ will decide without more specific information. The likelihood that your claim will be granted depends on a number of factors but most specifically the amount of medical documentation you have that establishes your eligibility under the disability rules and evidence that you are unable to perform any type of work at this time.

I can only counsel patience. If you do not have a decision a month after your hearing date, I recommend that you recontact the SSA/ODAR office for an update on the status of your case.