How long does it take a healthcare company to waive their claim for the reimbursment of medical bills they pay out?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sparta, WI

Lawyer is holding my settlement cause he is waiting for my healthcare provider to waive the claim so I can get the medical bill payout, what does this mean? How long does something like this take? I was in an accident a passenger not at fault and suffered 120,000.00 and my lawyer already got me 100,000.00 but hasnt paid me yet until the healthcare provider waives the claim.

1. Jeffrey A. Pitman

Pro

6

Answered . What does your lawyer say about this? Sounds like he/she is trying to get the health insurer to waive its claim because you aren't made whole from the settlement. Getting the agreement to waive can take some time.

2. Robert Bruce Kopelson

4

Answered . No set time limit. Sometimes it takes a long time because you have to battle with them, work your way up the authority ladder, etc. Getting the 100k settlement was maybe half the battle. getting the healthplan to waive its claim completely would be a stellar result. I wouldnt assume they will waive completely. Many factors come in to play; the plan language, type of plan, state law, ERISA, various equitable doctrines, etc. There is a case pending in the US Supreme Court argued about a month ago that will affect self insured Erisa healthplans and their plan language concerning reimbursement.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

4

Answered . It is not possible to second guess this issue. It could be a matter of a few weeks or six months. Health entities have so many offices to deal with. You just have to be patient. Your money is not going anywhere. It is in your lawyer's trust account. You can check with him once a week until this issue is resolved. Best of luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now