How long does it take a divorce to finalize so you can remarry in NYC?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

My fiancé and I want to be married soon in CA, however he is still married. There is nothing to dispute in his divorce. Both parties want to file for divorce. His wife said he just needs to sign some papers. How long will it take for the divorce to be finalized after the papers are notarized and turned into the court? Can we be married for example two weeks after he files? 1 month? 3 months? Can you give me at least an estimate? By the way my fiancé and I have been living together sharing finances in the same household for the past 5 years, but we have lived in different states, Chicago for 2 years and 3 in NYC. We will be moving to Canada together in September. I am a US citizen, he will be a student at the University of Toronto, I wanted benefits this is part of why the hurry.

A divorce is like a lawsuit. If it is UNCONTESTED, and there are affidavits/waivers confirming all that, it can be processed quickly from filing to judgment. I would estimate a couple of months.

Note: With a staff of 30 at our headquarters and affiliated attorneys and experts around the country, we use a team-oriented approach and consider any comments here as strictly preliminary - not a substitute for a lawyer's investigation and analysis, which are required for final decisions about the particular rights involved. For urgent questions, please call (917) 226-6405. NOVO LAW FIRM, PC 299 Broadway, 17th floor New York, NY 10007 Tel. (212) 233-6686

There is no waiting period after the divorce is finalized - but how long it will take will depend upon the county in which you file and the backlog in that county on the day you file.

Because of the state budget cuts the court system has developed substantial delays in almost everything it does. In some counties it can take a year unless someone moves for expedited processing.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

It depends on the county, and the judge assigned. It could take many mo tha these days. If there are definitive marriage plans, with proof, then the moving party can request the court expedite the process. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Divorce