How long does it take a bankruptcy trustee to return the balance of your tax returns after he receives it

Las Vegas, NV |

The trustee took my income tax check be ause i filed chp 7 bankruptcy in june. How long does it take him to return my part back to me In nevada

1. Just to clarify - You filed bankruptcy in June 2011 and the Trustee kept the case open in order to collect his share of the tax refund in 2012? If that is the case, it could not have been that long ago that you filed your taxes and received your refund.

Generally, it should not take long at all for you to get your share - 60-90 days from the date of receipt should be plenty. After that I would get very vocal.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.

2. There's really no way to say. Each and every Trustee has their own procedure and caseload and some are much better than others in terms of administering asset cases and closing them out.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

3. The Bankruptcy Trustees in Las Vegas are very backed up with work and returning money from your tax refunds is not a high priority for them. It could take 6 months or longer to receive your portion of this money back.

So what can you do? You can complain to the US Trustee's office, as they act as supervisors to the panel Trustees.

Hope this perspective helps!