How long does it take a bankruptcy trustee to return the balance of your tax returns after he receives it

Asked almost 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

The trustee took my income tax check be ause i filed chp 7 bankruptcy in june. How long does it take him to return my part back to me In nevada

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . The Bankruptcy Trustees in Las Vegas are very backed up with work and returning money from your tax refunds is not a high priority for them. It could take 6 months or longer to receive your portion of this money back.

So what can you do? You can complain to the US Trustee's office, as they act as supervisors to the panel Trustees.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

2

Answered . Just to clarify - You filed bankruptcy in June 2011 and the Trustee kept the case open in order to collect his share of the tax refund in 2012? If that is the case, it could not have been that long ago that you filed your taxes and received your refund.

Generally, it should not take long at all for you to get your share - 60-90 days from the date of receipt should be plenty. After that I would get very vocal.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com

3. Eric Charles Lewis

2

Answered . There's really no way to say. Each and every Trustee has their own procedure and caseload and some are much better than others in terms of administering asset cases and closing them out.