How long does it generally take for a judge to "sign off" on divorce after clerks approve a judgement and declaration of default

The clerks told me they approved my judgement and Default, (it's been almost two years) and are now waiting for the judge to sign off -over 2 wks ago. I am very anxious to have this over. So far no response from soon to be ex husband.

To clarify, It's been over two years since I filed, but over two weeks since the clerks said they had approved and are waiting for the response. AND - The Default Judgement was given on 11/13. So I guess it is finally final. Thank you for the advice and help.

Something is wrong if your Judgment and default were approved almost two years ago - or did I misunderstand your question? Did you submit those only around 2 weeks ago? It is currently taking approximately 2-3 months for the Court in L.A. to process Judgment packages, so be patient.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Ah, no. I initially filed almost two years ago. Had to refile the judgement and default again on August 13. On October 15, "Declaration-Default" popped up under case information online . A clerk told me that they had sent the paperwork along to a judge for him to sign off. No further updates. Thank you for your response.

It depends on your county and courthouse. Generally 2-3 months is a good rule of thumb, however some courts move faster than others even in the same county. I have gotten them back in 1 month.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents. My firm is All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. a nonprofit public benefit corporation that charges on a sliding scale based on income and family size. For a consultation contact us 510-999-7732 or at our website www.allforthefamilylegalclinic.org

Go to the Court and pull your file, perhaps the Judgment is there and wasn't mailed. IF you dint provide a self addressed envelope it would NOT be mailed. If you do NOT see the judgment, then you can ask the family court facilitator to assist you with coordinating with the Judges clerk. Good Luck.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Get another original and have your attorney walk it through, it is quite possible the file is lost or it is in the file

My name is Stephen R. Cohen California State Bar #60834, fax 1-888-958-5642, cell phone for appointment only 213-819-1171. I primarily practice in Los Angeles and Orange County but have been admitted other states and countries Pro Hac Vice. I have practiced extensively in Family Law, Criminal Law, and Personal Injury and have forgotten how many trials I have been in. I like to listen to my client's recitation of their version of the facts, and their desired outcome--then pose questions to them to determine the viability of their case and their personal ability to testify. Then I decide if I will take their case (I hate Losing). If I do not want to take your case get a second or third opinion sometimes I am wrong, or we just do not have the chemistry to work together. My hourly rate is $400 plus costs, travel and lodging expenses. I take no contingency fee cases under $500,000. The answers here do not create an attorney-client relationship obviously I would spend a great deal more time with a client even on a small matter.
Of course, but some attorneys also advertising (by posting answers) have called me a blatant and unabashed attorney and after thirty eight years of practice all I can reply is "they can kiss my ass".

Some of the questions lack much detail that would be fleshed out in an extensive office interview and this must be pointed out. Further some of the questions reveal a bias on the questioner's behalf. People and Judges (a few) would benefit from thinking what this looks like from the other side (the opposition) and the Judge's view before firing bullets which may cause self-inflicted wounds such as a irritating the judge or looking foolish. Self-inflicted wounds are the worst and most embarrassing!

Why are attorneys afraid to advertise their hourly rates? Which attorneys can do in 4 hours what I accomplish in 1 hour? Prospective clients might ask that as well. And always leave an attorney's office who promises or guarantees anything as they are either stupid or lying or both. Often times at trial partys and witnesses change or add or forget testimony or there may even be new parties added. Going to trial is like throwing dice, 7 is most often, but there are other combinations and an experienced attorney can only give an educated guess!

Very truly yours,

Stephen R. Cohen

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce