How long does it typically take an asylum office to make a decision on a case, the office can't seem to give me a time-line?

New York, NY |

I am on an F-1 visa (in status) and I applied for asylum over six months ago, and I had an interview a month later. I was sent a NOID, a week after my interview, instructing me to provide additional evidence and documentation regarding my case, which I did in a timely manner with the help of my attorney. I went to the asylum office to inquire about the status of my case three months after my application, and i was informed that a decision would be mailed to me in a few weeks, but it's been three months and I am yet to receive a decision on my case.

1. There is no one answer to your question. Many cases are adjudicated the same week they are heard and others require an advisory opinion from the State Department. The NOID means they intended to deny your case so it will be looked at carefully and if they still intend to deny it the Denial will likely also be reviewed by a Supervisor. checking in every 2-3 months from now on seems fine. be sure to keep them posted if you move. You need to also have a game plan if your case is denied as they have already indicated that is what they were going to do..

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

2. Once you apply for a work permit, a decision will likely issue.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

3. Some asylum applications may take longer due to extra background checks or other procedural issues. I recommend to keep checking in, or have your attorney contact the asylum office and check in.

Ellie Mosko Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: ellie.mosko@ellisporter.com The information I provide on Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship

Education law topics