Skip to main content

How long does his family have to clear his belongings out of my rental?

Stanwood, WA |

My son passed away a month ago. His ex wife and 2 adult children are taking his personal belongings.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, please accept my condolences on your recent loss. It is my opinion that a person does not "abandon" a tenancy when they pass away, especially if their family is working to gather up his personal property. In the absence of a will, the personal property belongs to his adult children based on WA's intestacy statute. If he did not own real property, it is possible that there is no need for a formal probate. WA has a "small estate probate" that can be used when the decedent's estate is

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer