How long does emancipation take it your parent is not going to fight it?

Indianapolis, IN |

I am a 17 year old girl from Indiana, and I live with a friend where I pay rent and provide for myself. My mother who is my only custodial parent will not willingly emancipate me, but will not fight it if I go to court. The reason for wanting to go through this process if because of an unfit home. My goal is to get an apartment that is closer to the office I am working in and my high school. To do this, I know I must be emancipated or 18. Because of my specific situation, I do not have time to wait until my 18th birthday. This is why I need to have some sort of idea on how long this could take, taking into consideration my current financial status.

1. There are few things to consider. First, the time it takes for a hearing to be set, heard by the judge and decided can very GREATLY based purely on the court's schedule. This could be a few months or several. Second, it's not a guarantee that the judge would approve the emancipation,even if your parent(s) do not contest it. There are certain elements that must be proved and abilities demonstrated for approval.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.