How long does an LL have after 60 & 3-Day expires in order to file UD?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Month-to-month. Was served with a 60-day Notice to Terminate Tenancy for complaining to govt agency. Before it expired, was also served with a 3-Day Pay or Quit (LL refused my rent money twice even though I tried to pay a week in advance from the date when rent was due). 1) Both notices have expired (2 weeks), so how long do I have to wait before they serve me with the UD? 2) Is there a statute of limitations for them? 3) Should I go ahead with a civil case if they never file? 4) How long should I wait for them to file before going forward with a civil case? 5) I'll try to keep paying rent, but can they turn it into a non-payment even though the orginal 60-day notice was for something else? 6) What happens if they never file? What are my options? Thanks!

Additional information

And please don't say "Just move out." I did not break the rental agreement in any way, so I'm not going anywhere but to court ... even if it is just for the principle of the thing. I know that LL's can't evict me without just cause and they have none; hence the 60-day for one thing then the 3-day pay or quit for an entirely different thing.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Laurence Louis Spitters Jr

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Since the UD action is based on statute, the landlord has three years to file the action. However, to collect rent based on a 3 day notice, the action must be filed and served within one year. Delays are unusual, as the Landlord typically wishes to regain possession of the unit to re-rent it. You should not anticipate a lengthy delay. If the 3 day notice is invalid because your rent was current, or if the landlord refused to accept your rent payment tendered within the 3 day period, you can offer this evidence in defense of a UD action. If a UD action is filed, you may raise a retaliatory eviction defense provided your rent is current or the landlord has wrongfully refused your rent payment. What is not cleaer fro you questions is what you wish to achieve. Do you want to sta where you are. If not, you can reach a move-out agreement with the landlord.

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Notice to vacate property

A notice to vacate is a written notice from a landlord telling a tenant to move by a certain date. Often you'll have 30 days to leave, but state laws vary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,459 answers this week

3,489 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,459 answers this week

3,489 attorneys answering