How long does an eviction process take?

Hicksville, NY |

I live in an illegal basement apartment in Nassau County. I recently had a run in with my landlord where he was looking into my bedroom window and it was reported to the Police. I have lived in this apartment for over 7 years, the landlord now bought the house about two years ago. I am not able to afford the rent any longer since I recently lost my job and when I didn't pay him on the first he became angry with me when I told him I would pay on the 10th. If I choose not to pay, how long before I am evicted from the apartment

1. You can probably delay the process a couple of months. In Nassau County the Sheriff is approximately 6 weeks delayed. When you are served, make sure to appear in court on the return date of the Notice of Petition. Since you are unemployed, make sure to ask for a lawyer through the Volunteer Lawyers Project. That announcement should be made before the calendar call.

Mike.

2. I am sorry to hear about your situation. It depends on how back logged the court is and how diligent he is in pursuing you, but you might be able to delay a few months.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

Our firm has many years of experience in the landlord/tenant field.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

Landlord-tenant law topics