How long does an employer have to give you a copy of your employee file and termination letter? What to do about wrorngful term?

Asked over 4 years ago - Romulus, MI

I have put in written requests for my termination letter and employee file as well as a written explanation as to exactly why I was terminated and have not received as yet. Also I beleive I was wrongfully terminated because I was let go after I went above the managers head and reported her. Afterwards I was harrased as though she was trying to force me to quit and then I was eventually fired. The claims on my write up were false as were my co-worker who was fired the same day also. She was told in so many words besides whats on her write up those who dont get along with the manager will be terminated. I have made complaints about her I havent been written up. Why was I let go and she is still there even though they know about what she was doing? What are my rights?

1. John S. Hone

Answered . Under the Bullard-Plawecki Act you have a right to your employee file. Document you request for the file, to prove that you requested it, as you have done. Regarding you rights, that depends upon the nature of your working agreement. Do you have a contract? In Michigan most employers are prudent enough now to generate documentation that your employment is "AT-WILL". In other words, you can quit if you want, and they can fire you if they want. So check your contract, if any, and your Employee Handbook. If you are an "at will" employee, an employer has no obligation to give you a written explanation as to why you were fired.