How long does an arrest warrant remain valid or will it expire?

Roswell, GA |

my nephew (an adult) was summoned to appear in court for a dui charge. on the 3rd court date, my nephew did not show up for court and an arrest warrant was issued (standard practice). Will the warrant remain in effect for the rest of his life?

The warrant will remain valid until it is cleared by either withdrawal or by arrest (booking into jail). This will really depend on where the case is--some courts will allow you to post some money as a bond and then put the case back on the calendar. But the warrant will certainly not expire on its own after a certain amount of time. Feel free to call any time to discuss in more detail at no charge. 404-987-0245

No, it will not expire. An experienced DUI attorney will be able to help handle this issue and potentially terminate the warrant. Please feel free to call our office and discuss how we can help you manage this warrant and the underlying case.

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

Under what circumstances would it "expire" It would never expire in New York, is your law different?

Justin Spizman

Justin Spizman

Under none-that was his term, not mine. Either arrest or recall by a judge.

Or until he is arrested.

This will not go away, as the others have stated. I would add that, if this goes a long time before he is arrested, the prosecutors may look for more punishment than they otherwise would have, so getting it resolved asap is best. In the meantime, if he is pulled over or even seen by a law enforcement officer who knows him and that he has a warrant, he will go to jail on the failure to appear and spend much longer in jail waiting for a court date that he would have for the DUI.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

The warrant will stay open indefinitely until it is served. The best thing to do is get a lawyer then turn himself in.