How long does an arrest warrant remain valid or will it expire?

Asked over 1 year ago - Roswell, GA

my nephew (an adult) was summoned to appear in court for a dui charge. on the 3rd court date, my nephew did not show up for court and an arrest warrant was issued (standard practice). Will the warrant remain in effect for the rest of his life?

1. Kevin Aaron Chastine

Pro

9

Answered . The warrant will remain valid until it is cleared by either withdrawal or by arrest (booking into jail). This will really depend on where the case is--some courts will allow you to post some money as a bond and then put the case back on the calendar. But the warrant will certainly not expire on its own after a certain amount of time. Feel free to call any time to discuss in more detail at no charge. 404-987-0245

2. Justin Spizman

Pro

9

Answered . No, it will not expire. An experienced DUI attorney will be able to help handle this issue and potentially terminate the warrant. Please feel free to call our office and discuss how we can help you manage this warrant and the underlying case.

3. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

8

Answered . Or until he is arrested.

4. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

7

Answered . This will not go away, as the others have stated. I would add that, if this goes a long time before he is arrested, the prosecutors may look for more punishment than they otherwise would have, so getting it resolved asap is best. In the meantime, if he is pulled over or even seen by a law enforcement officer who knows him and that he has a warrant, he will go to jail on the failure to appear and spend much longer in jail waiting for a court date that he would have for the DUI.

5. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

7

Answered . The warrant will stay open indefinitely until it is served. The best thing to do is get a lawyer then turn himself in.