How long does a typical DWI and refusal process take in NJ? From the date of arrest until disposition?

Asked over 1 year ago - East Brunswick, NJ

also how long does receiving discovery take?

1. James Alexander Abate

Pro

6

Answered . I have had cases that last in excess of a year. East Brunswick tries to push cases, but that can not always be accomplished. It depends on many factors and cannot be predicted. When the cake is ready we put it in the oven. In addition to the factors mentioned, there is the schedule of the experts who are quite busy in some cases.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  2. Mark M Cheser

5

Answered . The AOC wants the cases done in 60 days. But discovery and experts (and the lab if involved) takes longer, The Judge will push for 60 days though.

3. Matthew C Simon

Pro

5

Answered . It could be finished after 1 appearance or it could drag on nearly a year due to a plethora of factors.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

4

Answered . There is no typical time. IT depends on the court, the arresting agency (local, county, state or other police) and other issues (blood test or breath test). Get a lawyer. He or she should be on top of this issue for you.

5. Andres Yoav Mejer

Pro

4

Answered . Every case is different. Generally, my cases take 4-6 months. Some less, and some more depending on expert reports, motions, and witness availability.

6. Ronald Edward Aronds

2

Answered . The law says they are supposed to be completed within 60 days of your arrest. Please contact my office to discuss your case in more detail and to see how I may be able to assist you. Thank you.
    Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.- (908) 272-0111

7. Kevin Michael Leckerman

Pro

2

Answered . The discovery process is essential in defending and winning a DWI charge. If done thoroughly, the discovery process will take at least 2 months for an alleged DWI/refusal case. Presuming your case is in East Brunswick Municipal Court, it has typically taken me between 6 mos. to 12 mos. to get all of the discovery that I needed and resolve cases. That court is extremely busy with DWIs.

8. John Arthur Daniels

2

Answered . I have seen 4-6 months, sometimes longer depending upon special circumstances. Delays may actually work out to your favor however. Please make sure to consult an attorney rather than trying to fight a DWI DIY! The stakes are too high for that.

9. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . You need to retain counsel. Contact us if you want a great NJ traffic court lawyer on your side!