How long does a Police report stay on file? If statement was taken but nothing was pursued

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

3 years ago someone hit me and then called the police afterwards they police took my statement and theirs but nothing ever happened ... as i did not press charges and it was self defense .... Does the police keep this in my file or is it long gone

1. If the police made a report, then they still have it in their computer system if not on file somewhere.

Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person on the matter. In addition, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us.

2. I don't believe there is a date by which they will destroy records. It should be maintained in their system.

Although my intent in answering this question is to aid you in the legal process, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship in any way. You should seek the advice and counsel of a qualified attorney in your community to evaluate your legal needs and to advise you. No Attorney-Client Relationship is created without the specific intent of both parties.