How long does a person in jail for violating his probation with a new charge has to stay in prison if pleading not guilty ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Harrisburg, PA

My friend is in jail for violating his probation with a new charge. He is not pleading guilty, so does he have to stay in prison and his probation officer not lift the detainer? and if yes, what is the due process and what happens with 'inocent until proven guilty". I feel like many people feel obligated to plead guilty and take probation, parole, or whatever deal is offer ed in order to get out of jail instead of fighting the charges.

1. Robert C. Keller

4

1

Answered . Your friend needs an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent him on both matters. The attorney can file a motion now on the violation matter seeking his release pending the outcome of the new case.

2. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

4

1

Answered . In terms of "innocent until proven guilty," he has been proven guilty of the offense he is on probation for. That is what is keeping him in prison. What he would be likely to receive depends upon the new charge, the old charge, the prior record and many other factors. It is not a simple question. Finally, in terms of waiting---he may be able to get the detainer "lifted." This again depends upon many factors.

Michael L. Doyle
    (215) 900-5565

3. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

3

1

Answered . He needs legal representation. See my answer to your other question.

4. William Ray Pelger

2

Answered . Yes, I believe the judge who has him on probation can let him sit until the new charges are resolved. Get an opinion from a local attorney on the chances of the judge lifting the detainer or transfering to house arrest if the attorney files a Petiton to Lift Detainer.