How long does a person have to settle a personal injury case?

My man was riding his motorcycle at night and someones cable (not mentioning who) close lined him by his neck and pulled him off his bike. he was very blessed he wasnt decapitated. How long do you have in texas law to settle this kind of case? Its going to jury trial. its been 5 years now

Beaumont, TX -

Brent Barnes Ivy

Brent Barnes Ivy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Houston, TX

The statute of limitations to FILE SUIT on a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the injury. However, once a lawsuit is filed, there is no time limit for when a case must be settled or resolved. Many times, cases stay pending for more than five years depending on various circumstances--including ongoing medical treatment of an injured person. If you already have an attorney and are unhappy with how long the case is taking to reach resolution, you should consult him or her to discuss the reasons for doing so. Good luck.

Sponsored Listing
Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Personal Injury Lawyer - Houston, TX

There is no set limit once the suit is filed and the defendant is brought in. If nothing were being done to move the case along, a court might threaten to dismiss it unless someone get busy. If your case is set for jury trial, then the case is moving along and there should be no problem with time limits. You should ask your lawyer if you have any other questions. Your lawyer knows the details of what is going on in your case much better than any of us would.

Robert C. Slim

Robert C. Slim

Personal Injury Lawyer - Dallas, TX

The time limit to file a lawsuit in Texas for personal injuries is two years. All the injured person has to do is either settle the case or file the suit within that period of time. The time period that the lawsuit is pending does not count against the time limit so long as the suit was initially filed within the time limit.

Gregg Samuel Harrison

Gregg Samuel Harrison

Personal Injury Lawyer - Cypress, TX

I sounds like your case is on litigation. As long as the proper lawsuit was filed and served....it should be protected. You now have to go to trial. If the insurance company is willing to offer a settlement you really can settle up until the jury comes back with a verdict. I assume if you are in litigation you have an attorney. He or she can answer these questions for you.

Sean Michael Patrick

Sean Michael Patrick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

Really there are only limits on the time you have to file a lawsuit. I would recommend discussing this with a personal injury attorney in your area.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

You have a trial date; at least that's how I read your question. Case can settle at any time; even after verdict, should your man prevail. Good luck.

Shane Allister McClelland

Shane Allister McClelland

Personal Injury Lawyer - Houston, TX

The time limit to file the lawsuit on a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the injury. Once the lawsuit is filed and all of the proper parties served with the lawsuit, there is no deadline for when the case has to be settled. Lawsuits can take a lot longer than people expect. It sounds like you already have an attorney, and if you do, then you should speak with that person about when the jury trial will begin.

Cesar Garcia

Cesar Garcia

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Antonio, TX

A person in Texas has two years from the date of incident to file a lawsuit for personal injuries but once a lawsuit is filed, there is no timeframe for when the case has to end. If you are unhappy with the length of time it is taking to end your case, then I suggest setting up a meeting with your attorney to discuss the issues that are taking up time.

Frank de la Garza

Frank de la Garza

Personal Injury Lawyer - Austin, TX

Generally 2 years from the date of the incident. This can vary under certain circumtances.

Related Advice