Skip to main content

How long does a person have to make a Police report after a car accident takes place? No injuries.

Boulder, CO |

I backed into someone in a parking lot while I was adjusting. I looked before i put the car in reverse and didn't see the other car. I believe the car didn't see me backing up and was preparing to park themselves as they were not there. They said that their car had no damage as it was a very slow bump. Now they are saying I have to pay and are threatening a police report.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Colorado state law requires that ALL motor vehicle accidents be reported immediately to the proper law enforcement authorities (42-4-1606 CRS). A traffic accident is defined as unintentional damage or injury caused by the movement of a vehicle or its load.

Both drivers are required to file a report. You can file a report using the Colorado Online Accident Report, found at

To file a report using the State of Colorado Online Accident Report, the accident must meet each of the following criteria:
· No fatality or injury requiring medical attention was sustained by any person(s) involved in the accident, and;
· The accident is not an alleged hit and run or it is an alleged hit and run, and there is no information on the other driver involved in the accident, and;
· The accident does not involve damage to any public property other than wildlife, and:
· No drivers involved in the accident are suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or have insurance or driver's license violations.


Generally, you have to make a police report immediately if the estimated value of the damages done exceeds certain specific amount (mostly between $500 to $1000). Making a police report is easy--in many jurisdictions you can do it over the phone for insurance purposes.

Nima Taradji

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer licensed in the State of Illinois only, and I am not your lawyer (unless you have been in my office and signed a contract). This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice. This is for informational purposes only.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer