How long does a person have to file a car accident report to the car insurance company? (with no police report)

Asked over 2 years ago - Massapequa, NY

today is tuesday and my husband had a car accident on friday morning (4 days ago). the other person was in the left lane and made a right turn unto our car and hit us. the mutual agreement was to fix the problem without the police or car insurance. now the other person wants to call MY insurance company to file a claim. my problem is that my husband did not have a license and everything is under my name (the other claimant doesnt know this) what should the appropriate steps be? can we still file a claim since we didnt do anything the same day of the accident? and to confirm I should be calling my insurance company NOT the other person correct? or should i try to fix everything without my insurance co, Geico?

1. Marc Sean Hurd

4

Answered . Your policy most likely provides that you must report the incident "promptly", so i would do so. Any of the other issues about licensing etc. would only be made worse if you don't report it and lose coverage as a result. If you folks get sued, then the insurance company should defend you and the hired attorney should be able to address these other points.

2. Jeena R. Belil

2

Answered . Call your own insurance company to report the accident as soon as possible. If you don't report within a certain number of days after the date of accident (per your policy), the company has the right to disclaim and won't cover you or any claim made by the "other person". Most insurance companies, including GEICO, have 24 hour claim reporting services. Also, if you do not have collision, call the other vehicle's insurance company to report property damage (property damage only).

This post is for informational purposes only. The above information is not to be construed as legal advice.

Pro

3

Answered . Call your insurance company right now and report the accident.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . You can still call the insurance company and report the accident. Geico will not deny coverage for the four day delay. They might not even ask if your husband is licensed, but if they find out, don't be surprised if you need a new insurance company.