How long does a person have to file a car accident report to the car insurance company? (with no police report)

Asked over 2 years ago - Massapequa, NY

today is tuesday and my husband had a car accident on friday morning (4 days ago). the other person was in the left lane and made a right turn unto our car and hit us. the mutual agreement was to fix the problem without the police or car insurance. now the other person wants to call MY insurance company to file a claim. my problem is that my husband did not have a license and everything is under my name (the other claimant doesnt know this) what should the appropriate steps be? can we still file a claim since we didnt do anything the same day of the accident? and to confirm I should be calling my insurance company NOT the other person correct? or should i try to fix everything without my insurance co, Geico?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marc Sean Hurd

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your policy most likely provides that you must report the incident "promptly", so i would do so. Any of the other issues about licensing etc. would only be made worse if you don't report it and lose coverage as a result. If you folks get sued, then the insurance company should defend you and the hired attorney should be able to address these other points.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it... more
  2. Jeena R. Belil

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call your own insurance company to report the accident as soon as possible. If you don't report within a certain number of days after the date of accident (per your policy), the company has the right to disclaim and won't cover you or any claim made by the "other person". Most insurance companies, including GEICO, have 24 hour claim reporting services. Also, if you do not have collision, call the other vehicle's insurance company to report property damage (property damage only).

    This post is for informational purposes only. The above information is not to be construed as legal advice.
  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call your insurance company right now and report the accident.

    Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer.
  4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can still call the insurance company and report the accident. Geico will not deny coverage for the four day delay. They might not even ask if your husband is licensed, but if they find out, don't be surprised if you need a new insurance company.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,937 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,937 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering