Skip to main content

How long does a non-contested divorce take in the state of California?

San Bernardino, CA |
Filed under: Uncontested divorce

From first filing to the final decree, how long does it take in California for a divorce?

Attorney Answers 2


It takes a minimum of 6 months. There's no maximum, but an uncontested dissolution should pretty much sail through in close to the minimum time.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


Your divorce is final when the Judge signs it. You cannot remarry until the divorce is final and 6 months and one day from the date you served your spouse or the date s/he appeared, which ever comes first. In San Bernardino County, once the judge receives your completed divorce judgment and the required judgment documents, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks for him/her to review and sign it - simply because of their case load (fewer judges available and more people getting divorced). This assumes your filing does not get rejected. It can be rejected for a number of reasons (proper documents not filed, financial disclosures not completed, etc). The court does have a self-help office, but their services are limited to assisting you with the financial disclosures only. Your best bet would be to seek the assistance of an attorney who can put the paper work together for you and make sure that all of the required issues are addressed.

Good luck to you both.
This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics