How long does a misdemeanor stay on someone's record

Huntington Park, CA |

My friend got a misdemeanor for pitty theft how long does it stay on your record

Forever unless it is dismissed or expunged.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456 www.mataelelaw.com

For the rest of his life. It will still appear on law enforcement rap sheets as a dismissal or expungement. The only way to really completely wipe it away is a pardon from the Governor.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Forever. Contrary to what you have been told CA does not have an expungement process. You can ask to have the conviction dismissed pursuant to PC 1203.4a but the arrest and conviction will stay on your record and a note will be added saying the conviction is dismissed.

A Governor's pardon shows rehabilitation and restores any forfeited civil rights but it does not erase your conviction. After all the pardon will say what you have been pardoned for doing.

Concur. Forever. The conviction can be expunged which means the person does not have to report the conviction for most purposes but it doesnt go away.