How long does a legal separation take in California?

Asked over 4 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I need to know how long a legal separation will take me in CA.

1. Donald Andrew Hansen

Pro

Answered . In California a judgment of Legal Separation or Dissolution may not be rendered until at least six months from the date of initiation (to give the parties time to consider reconciliation). During that time, however, temporary orders concerning support, custody, property and other issues may be granted. You should also keep in mind that a judgment of legal separation will be granted only if both parties consent (or the Respondent fails to respond). If you know the Respondent wants a dissolution, you will save everyone time and money by requesting a dissolution in your Petition.

(Disclaimer: This information about California law and procedures is based on the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. It is not offered as advice to that person or any other reader and does not form an attorney-client relationship. Readers in other jurisdictions should be aware that California law may differ from that of their state.)