How long does a judgement stay on record?

Asked over 3 years ago - Denver, CO

How long does a judgement stay on record from when the courts send it collections agency. Someone got a photo radar ticket and they where no served properly, so I spoke with the division and they said that a judgement would be entered by the courts and sent to collections.Does it stay for ever or drop off?

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . If the judgment is paid off, it should come off after 8 years. If the judgment isn't paid off, it can remain indefinately, but only if it continues to be renewed.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . It will drop off when the Court stops reporting it to the CRA's. If you saitisfy the judgment make sure the creditor files a satisfaction of judgment with the court.

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . Which "record" are you referring to? Your credit report will show the judgment for 10 years, even if you do pay it off.

In the public records? The judgment might be there forever. Literally forever, along with all the other deeds, mortgages, judgments etc.. The public records are a repository for all transactions occurring with the county.

How long enforceable? My colleague says 8 years, but she is in Nevada and I do not know if she researched CO law or is basing her answer on NV law. I can tell you that in my jurisdiction a judgment is enforceable for 20 years, and can then be renewed for another 20.

It may turn out that you have no assets or funds to pay the judgment and so the judgment may sit there for quite a long time, either as something that can be enforced or just a blot on your credit worthiness.

Here is something else to consider: judgments bear interest, and the interest rate varies from state to state.

If you can possibly avoid having a judgment by paying it you should do so, and a traffic ticket just isn't that much money, not in the grand scheme of life. Of course, it is easy for me to spend your money, but why take a hit on your credit score, which, by the way, insurance companies use when setting car insurance premiums. You may be able to avoid paying a $300.00 fine, but wind up paying it many times over due to your lowered credit rating.