How long does a judgement stay on record?

Denver, CO |

How long does a judgement stay on record from when the courts send it collections agency. Someone got a photo radar ticket and they where no served properly, so I spoke with the division and they said that a judgement would be entered by the courts and sent to collections.Does it stay for ever or drop off?

1. If the judgment is paid off, it should come off after 8 years. If the judgment isn't paid off, it can remain indefinately, but only if it continues to be renewed.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. It will drop off when the Court stops reporting it to the CRA's. If you saitisfy the judgment make sure the creditor files a satisfaction of judgment with the court.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

3. Which "record" are you referring to? Your credit report will show the judgment for 10 years, even if you do pay it off.

In the public records? The judgment might be there forever. Literally forever, along with all the other deeds, mortgages, judgments etc.. The public records are a repository for all transactions occurring with the county.

How long enforceable? My colleague says 8 years, but she is in Nevada and I do not know if she researched CO law or is basing her answer on NV law. I can tell you that in my jurisdiction a judgment is enforceable for 20 years, and can then be renewed for another 20.

It may turn out that you have no assets or funds to pay the judgment and so the judgment may sit there for quite a long time, either as something that can be enforced or just a blot on your credit worthiness.

Here is something else to consider: judgments bear interest, and the interest rate varies from state to state.

If you can possibly avoid having a judgment by paying it you should do so, and a traffic ticket just isn't that much money, not in the grand scheme of life. Of course, it is easy for me to spend your money, but why take a hit on your credit score, which, by the way, insurance companies use when setting car insurance premiums. You may be able to avoid paying a $300.00 fine, but wind up paying it many times over due to your lowered credit rating.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.