How long does a judge in UT have to sign a divorce decree after final filing of an uncontested divorce?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pleasant Grove, UT

My soon to be ex-husband and I have submitted our final filing of our uncontested divorce. I've been calling weekly to find out if the judge has signed and the decree has been recorded, with no result yet. A county clerk today told me the judge has 60 days to sign, however I see that information nowhere on Utah's government site and my husband hasn't received that statement. I've only seen a 15 working day request before calling on the filing instructions. What are our options regarding getting the decree signed? We have no children, no argument with each other over the divorce terms, etc. It feels ridiculous for it to be taking this long for the decree to be signed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Russell D Gray

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There isn't a set time limit or requirement for the judge to sign the decree. I've seen it happen anywhere between two days and two months. Has the 90-day wait period expired? If it has not, then the court is waiting for that. If for some reason the court rejects your filings, you should find an attorney to assist you.

  2. Brian Elliott Arnold


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . According to the judicial code they have 60 days to sign a final order or make a decision if all the necessary paperwork has been submitted. Sometimes a call to the clerk helps.

  3. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As long as the judge needs. Budget cuts have created huge backlogs in many courts.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,387 answers this week

2,743 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,387 answers this week

2,743 attorneys answering