How long does a judge in UT have to sign a divorce decree after final filing of an uncontested divorce?

Pleasant Grove, UT |

My soon to be ex-husband and I have submitted our final filing of our uncontested divorce. I've been calling weekly to find out if the judge has signed and the decree has been recorded, with no result yet. A county clerk today told me the judge has 60 days to sign, however I see that information nowhere on Utah's government site and my husband hasn't received that statement. I've only seen a 15 working day request before calling on the filing instructions. What are our options regarding getting the decree signed? We have no children, no argument with each other over the divorce terms, etc. It feels ridiculous for it to be taking this long for the decree to be signed.

There isn't a set time limit or requirement for the judge to sign the decree. I've seen it happen anywhere between two days and two months. Has the 90-day wait period expired? If it has not, then the court is waiting for that. If for some reason the court rejects your filings, you should find an attorney to assist you.

Yes, the 90 period has past and the final documents were filed.

As long as the judge needs. Budget cuts have created huge backlogs in many courts.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

According to the judicial code they have 60 days to sign a final order or make a decision if all the necessary paperwork has been submitted. Sometimes a call to the clerk helps.

Might be something worth putting in the information available on the website and such. Are you meaning to the county clerk or to the judge's clerk?

Brian Elliott Arnold

Brian Elliott Arnold

I am meaning the clerk for the judge assigned to your divorce case.

Craig Bainum

Craig Bainum

Just make sure you are very, very nice to the clerk.