Skip to main content

How long does a father have to have no contact with their child before they lose their rights in the State of texas?

Killeen, TX |

My daughters sperm donor hasn't had contact for one year.

He has never paid child support. He told me that if I filled for it he would keep quiting his job so they wouldn't take it out of his pay check. He doesn't provide health insurance for her, I do. Also a sheriffs department told me for the safety of the family it would better to move out of the area and not let him any kind of contact with her what so ever. If he really wanted to try to contact her he could, but he doesn't even try. My husband and I have already talked about it and he would love to adopt her if given the chance. He has always helped pay for her since the day we started dating.

Attorney Answers 2


In most states parents do not lose their rights without a court order, and if the court decides that the alienation from the father was due to parental alienation syndrome, the court might assign custody to the other parent.
You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.

You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Mark as helpful


It is very difficult to terminate a parent's rights, especially if they are providing financial support for the child. You cannot make a parent visit but you can ask a Judge to order the parent to pay child support and provide health insurance for the child.

If he has NO contact and you marry a man willing to adopt the child, the Judge might allow the step-father to step into the shoes of being daddy. Of course, the father's rights would have to be terminated.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics