How long does a employer have to give you a separation notice after being fired

Griffin, GA |

i was let go a week and half ago and they keep telling me they are going to mail it to me, i was let go on a thrusday and they said they mailed it out on the following monday and it has been a week and half from that monday, i did get my last check in the mail one day after reg payday

1. I don't believe you are "entitled" to a separation notice. If you feel you have been fired, you can file for unemployment, just based on what you have been verbally told, if that is what you are asking about. The REASON eventually given for your firing, will determine if you qualify for UE benefts. You can argue that, if your employer fights your application, the failure to provide you with written notice of why you were fired, shows they are making things up. Good luck finding a better job!

The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.

2. Go ahead and apply for your unemployment benefits. If your employer is asleep at the wheel, and not doing their job to fill out the right paperwork, that's their problem and not yours. Be sure to let the unemployment officer know that you've been given no notice of why you were terminated. That could assist you to get your benefits.