How long does a DUI case take to resolve?

Mansfield, GA |

On average, how long does a non-trial plea deal DUI case take? How long does DUI court take?

1. How long a DUI case takes can depend. It can resolve at arraignment or any time thereafter depending on your decisions.

The information provided is not intended as legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are in the greater Sacramento area and wish a further consultation please contact me at (916)594-9442.

2. If you know you want to plead guilty to DUI as charged it can take only a matter of weeks. If you want to try to get some type of reduced plea that usually takes a significant amount of investigation and negotiation and in some cases can take many months, or even more than a year, depending on the court. This will vary wildly depending on what court you are in, so it's difficult to say.

It is really worth your time to at least consult with a few attorneys in the locality of the arrest that regularly handle DUI before just pleading guilty. There may be a viable defense that you haven't even considered.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please note that the information I provide is for the state of Georgia only and should not be used for any purpose in any other jurisdiction.

3. How long a DUI case lasts can really be quick or take a while. Cases can be resolved as early a date as the arraignment. That is the date you got on the citation and or when you bonded out of jail. Arraignment is the formal charging in your case (when the state actually accuses you of committing the crime you were arrested for) so it is technically the beginning. I will strongly warn you not to rush to a resolution and finish you case at arraignment.

There are a variety of reasons why it is in your best interest to enter a plea of not guilty and continue your case. The most important reason is you still need to receive evidence/statements/videos/test results from the state to find out what they really have in this matter. There is no reward for pleading guilty early, only the extreme danger of missing out on getting a change to review critical evidence to ensure you truly know what the state has and what you are facing.

While having a case pending may be stressful, having rushed to a resolution just to have a DUI case that doesn't take long is a far worse danger which you will be engraved on your record for a lifetime.

This is general information available to provide general legal knowledge, and should not be viewed as legal advice or an opinion as to the outcome of your legal matter. By providing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been agreed to. It is always pertinent to obtain legal advise before proceeding in your case. Attorney Douglas B. Chanco has been involved in obtaining favorable results for clients all over Georgia, in many cases from complex felonies including: arson, drug trafficking, burglary, aggravated stalking, theft crimes, and sex crimes as well as misdemeanors including: DUI, marijuana charges, shoplifting, theft crimes, and domestic violence battery and traffic citations. Attorney Chanco has defended DUI and criminal cases in the following Georgia cities and towns: Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Marietta, East Point, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Lawrenceville, Woodstock, Milton, Decatur, Norcross, Lilburn, Stone Mountain, Johns Creek, Jonesboro, Cumming. Toll Free: 1-855-9-ATL-DUI. www.chancolaw.com

4. I agree with the other attorneys that said it can be resolved as early as arraignment. Also, depending on what county you are in, you may be able to talk to the public defender or an attorney who can have your arraignment date moved up for you.