How long does a court have to collect for a fine before the statute of limitations expires?

Asked over 1 year ago - Watertown, NY

in or about 1990s i sent all my court fines ( 2 Di's from Massenet town court and child support ) to judgment so i could get my license back . As of t last summer Massenet town court is trying to collect on one of the Di's and I don't think I should be paying this for the fact it was sent to judgment and the judgment was satisfied

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . This is really a civil question but the short answer is as long as they want.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

2

Answered . Produce proof of the satisfied judgment to the court.

3. Marco Caviglia

Pro

2

Answered . If you do not have your receipts from the court satisfying your fines, and you have no other documentary evidence, you might argure that DMV would not have allowed you to have your license reinstated if the court had advised them that you had failed to pay any fine, and that its insistence now, 20+ years later, is their record keeping error or omission, not yours or that of the DMV. Good luck

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . If you satisfied the judgment then show the court a copy of the satisfaction.