How long does a Chapter 7 bankruptcy last on a credit report?

I'm in Washington, and would like to know how long this bankruptcy will show up on my credit report?

Puyallup, WA -

Douglas Jay Lineberry

Douglas Jay Lineberry

Estate Planning Attorney - Gig Harbor, WA

Chapter 7 bankruptcy will show on your credit report for 10 years from the date you file the petition.

Sponsored Listing
Lawrence Michael Blue

Lawrence Michael Blue

Bankruptcy Attorney - Edmonds, WA

10 years. I have had many clients rebuild their credit quickly. Good luck!

Derek R. Caldwell

Derek R. Caldwell

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Raleigh, NC

Yep. Ten years from the date of filing of the petition with the court. You should start being able to get credit within a few months of discharge, though you may have to start with a secured card and rebuild from there.

Walter C Oney Jr

Walter C Oney Jr

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Fitchburg, MA

The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston did a study a few years ago that showed paradoxical results. The worse your credit is before bankruptcy, the quicker it will rebound after discharge. This is because of all the debt you no longer have. But if you had good credit before, lenders assume that a sudden catastrophe has befallen you that won't abate for a while.

Related Advice