How long does a Chapter 7 bankruptcy last on a credit report?

Puyallup, WA |

I'm in Washington, and would like to know how long this bankruptcy will show up on my credit report?

Chapter 7 bankruptcy will show on your credit report for 10 years from the date you file the petition.

The foregoing is commentary regarding a general legal question. It is not intended to be legal advice specific to the reader's individual situation nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the author and any reader. You are encouraged to contact a qualified attorney to discuss your legal situation.

Yep. Ten years from the date of filing of the petition with the court. You should start being able to get credit within a few months of discharge, though you may have to start with a secured card and rebuild from there.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston did a study a few years ago that showed paradoxical results. The worse your credit is before bankruptcy, the quicker it will rebound after discharge. This is because of all the debt you no longer have. But if you had good credit before, lenders assume that a sudden catastrophe has befallen you that won't abate for a while.

10 years. I have had many clients rebuild their credit quickly. Good luck!

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt