How long does a Chapter 7 bankruptcy last on a credit report?

Asked over 2 years ago - Puyallup, WA

I'm in Washington, and would like to know how long this bankruptcy will show up on my credit report?

1. Douglas Jay Lineberry

14

Answered . Chapter 7 bankruptcy will show on your credit report for 10 years from the date you file the petition.

2. Lawrence Michael Blue

8

Answered . 10 years. I have had many clients rebuild their credit quickly. Good luck!

3. Derek R. Caldwell

Pro

8

Answered . Yep. Ten years from the date of filing of the petition with the court. You should start being able to get credit within a few months of discharge, though you may have to start with a secured card and rebuild from there.

4. Walter C Oney Jr

4

1

Answered . The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston did a study a few years ago that showed paradoxical results. The worse your credit is before bankruptcy, the quicker it will rebound after discharge. This is because of all the debt you no longer have. But if you had good credit before, lenders assume that a sudden catastrophe has befallen you that won't abate for a while.