How long does a "at fault" car accident stay on your driving and insurance record?

Springfield, VA |

This happened on July 27,2011. I made a left turn yield on green into the other street (no green arrow, but green light). I did not check long enough to see if there were still any cars in the other street (they had a green light too). I ended up being at fault. Good news is nobody was hurt. How long in the state of Virginia does a "at fault" car accident stay on your driving and insurance record?

1. You should contact your state DMV. Please keep in mind that each insurance company sets their own requirements. Some insurance companies require that you do not have anything on your record within 5 years whereas some are 3 years. There may be other time limits as well.

This is not really a personal injury question, though, so I added traffic tags.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

2. The Virginia DMV uses a point system. While the points for any traffic ticket only affect your total point score for a period of two years, the charge will remain on your record for several years. The more serious the charge, the longer it remains.

You were probably charged with failure to yield the right-of-way, or something similar, which usually remain on your record for three years.

By responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.