How long do you have to report rape

Chicago, IL |

To an teenager

Every state has a statute dealing with their statute of limitations in which the government can file criminal charges in a felony case after the alleged commission of a felony crime. I do not practice in IL, but we have several avvo criminal defense lawyers here that do, and I'll defer to them as to IL law. You need to report the matter to the police so a police report can be made if you want to file a criminal complaint.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

If you have true information that a crime has been committed, then you should report it. The sooner you do so, the better. Let the police and the prosecutor worry about whether it is too late. That is their problem, not yours.

If you are asking what the criminal statute of limitations is, generally it is 20 years after the victim turns 18 if the offense occurred before the victim was 18. There are several nuances in the statute, however, that the state's attorney would have to analyze. If you are, or know of, a minor who hase been sexually assualted, report it to the police immediately. As Mr. Sachs states, let law enforcemnet determine whether prosecution should be undertaken.