How long do you have to live in texas for it to be a common law marriage and does michigan recognize it

Grand Haven, MI |

i am asking on behalf of my brother and his supposing common law marriage but his wife still holds her name and can social security disability recognize this marriage

1. Common law marriage in TX is known as an "informal marriage," and to have one requires 3 elements - (1) an agreement to be married; (2) cohabitation in Texas; and (3) representation to others that the parties are married. There is no time requirement to meet the second prong. All states will, as far as I know, recognize a lawful common law marriage from another state. SSA does recognize lawful common law marriages.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. Michigan hasn't recognized "common law"
    marriages for years (Michigan residents).
    However . . . if you're legally married in
    another state and MOVE to Michigan . . .
    that's a different story. Good l

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.