How long do written warnings stay in your file and can they be used as 'back up' even though they are years old?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I got a written warning recently for getting to work late. The last time I was disciplined for this was several YEARS ago and since then it hasnt been a problem. During this written warning he brought up my write up from SEVERAL YEARS before. Isn't there a certain amount of time that a write up can no longer be used against you?

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . Yes. Once you have nothing to do with the company. Until then, your personnel file contains everything from the start of your employment until the end. If you have been there 20 years and were late 19 years ago it should be in the file. Of course, awards you received and great recommendations are in there also.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.