How long do these then unknown creditors have to come forward? What legal right do creditors have to collect against the estate?

Albuquerque, NM |
Filed under: Probate

I recently received notice from a creditor for unpaid debt for my deceased father. He passed away 1 year and 4 months ago. Public legal notices were posted 1 year ago when we were not aware that they existed. This took place in Texas. How long do these then unknown creditors have to come forward & receive anything? What legal right do they have to collect against the estate?

1. you should address this issue with the estate lawyer. he will be able to answer the question whereas we dont have copies of the notices filed to creditors nor the claim filed if any against the estate and copies of the notice you refer to. generically if you had no idea the creditor existed then the creditor is limited to the time set forth in the notice to file a claim. failure to file a claim is fatal in most instances to the creditor. this information is something the estate lawyer can answer.

without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...nothing in this response should be construed as establishing a lawyer client relationship..the answers herein are for informational purposes and not to be construed as advice

Wills and estates topics