How long do Ponzi cases take to resolve?

Las Vegas, NV |

if a hedge fund invested in a fraud company and is suing then, how long can it take to recove the money.?

There is really no way to tell how long it will take. You have provided very little information regarding the case so I will provided some generic information to think about. First and foremost, if the hedge fund wins the suit there is no guarantee that the "Ponzi Scheme" will have the money to pay the fund. Without cash, the scheme's assets, can be sold. Again, there has to be something of value to actually sell. Since the people running the Ponzi scheme know it is a crime, there is a good chance the cash money is hidden, possibly in other countries. Bottom line, there are many factors that will determine how long it will be to recover the money. It my take years, if ever.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Florida Attorney practicing in areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Trusts, Probate, Guardianship, and Business Law. www.ferraezlucas.com The information provided is for educational purposes and not intended to provide legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship. Please contact me at adam@yourlawpro.com or call my office should you like to discuss your Florida legal matter further. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

It is not uncommon for a lawsuit to go on for a year or more. Again, it depends on the complexity of the dispute and the willingness of the parties to agree on a settlement. If both sides are willing to compromise, the whole lawsuit could be over in a matter of months. However, many lawsuits take much longer.

After the initial lawsuit is filed, both sides are allowed time to file several additional documents before even stepping foot in a courtroom. The discovery phase of litigation is where the parties inspect each other's documents and interview each other under oath. This can take months, or more, depending on how much information needs to be gathered. Trial preparation again also can take months, as the parties hash out what evidence or expert witnesses will be allowed. Even if both parties agree to negotiate, reaching a settlement can take anywhere from a day to several months
Fraud can be committed through many media, including mail, wire, phone, and the Internet (computer crime and Internet fraud). International dimensions of the web and ease with which users can hide their location, the difficulty of checking identity and legitimacy online, and the simplicity with which hackers can divert browsers to dishonest sites and steal credit card details have all contributed to the very rapid growth of Internet fraud. In some countries, tax fraud is also prosecuted under false billing or tax forgery

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Investment and securities fraud topics