How long do police officers have to charge you with a crime after they release you from custody?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I was detained on location, finally arrested and then released almost immediately. No charges, No court date. I was arrested for a driving violation but questioned about theft.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

6

Answered . If they are thinking about charging you with a misdemeanor, the DA and the cops have 18 months to file charges. If they are anticipating charging you with a felony theft, they have 3 years to file charges. As such, they have plenty of time to file charges. The mere fact that you were detained on location and then arrested and released almost immediately does not change the statute of limitations for filing charges.

2. Clifton L Black

1

Answered . Chris is correct on the statute of limitations. I would add that if you are charged, thus having more law enforcement contact, exercise your right to remain silent and right to an attorney. Only provide the police with name, address, dob, ss#, and be polite. Chris Leroi is a highly recommended attorney in your area.