How long do I have to wait until I get my first ssi back pay installment?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chino Hills, CA

I already received my first month's benefit amount and I am wondering where my back pay is? I did have a lawyer, and I was told they have to be paid first before I get my back pay, how long does that process usually take? My hearing was on Dec.6th 2011, and I was approved for the dissabilty requirements, I was approved for the non disability on Jan.17th...how long does it take for the lawyer to get their money? After that when should I expect to see my share of the back pay?

1. Brian S Wayson

4

Answered . You need to put your lawyer on this as the information you are reporting having been told is not correct.

In general, if your SSI back pay is over a certain amount, they will pay it in installments so you are not over the resource limit for SSI - then any part of that installment you have not spent begins to be counted as a resource after 6 months. Also, the payment center issue the funds to the representative and the claimant at about the same time - it might be off a couple of days, but in my experience it generally shows up via direct deposit or hard copy check just about the same time. My personal practice is to make sure my client has received their money before I deposit or otherwise manipulate my fee payment.

Call your attorney!

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Wayson - call your lawyer. If that is no help, contact your local US representative or US Senator's office for help.

As a genneral rule, the first installment of SSI benefits is paid within about 90 days of the ALJ favorable deision. Back due SSD benefits sometimes are paid within weeks, but are usually held up while the payment center verifies whether there is a pending SSI claim and, if so, how much has been paid on the SSI part (to avoid overpayments). So, regular SS benefits are sometimes held up as well.

if there is workers' compensation involved, that means longer time frames.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

3. C. C. Abbott

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your attorney should be able to answer these questions.