How long do i have to wait to re-apply for my citizenship after being denied?

Asked about 3 years ago - Lawrence, NY

my citizenship was denied because my husband and i did our taxes separated. do i have to wait 3 or 5 years after correcting the problem?

1. Eugene J. Glicksman

1

Answered . Your question is unclear. There are several things which need to be clarified, such as how long you have been a resident; whether you applied under the 3-year rule; whether your taxes were filed as "single" instead of "married." These are not things to discuss on a public forum like this. Make an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney for a full review of your case.

Good luck!

2. Hayley R. Greenberg

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. Your question appears to be incorrect. If you filed tax returns separately but stated you were married and did not lie on the tax forms, that alone is unlikely to cause you to be denied. You are missing some facts. Call an atty. ASAP.

Our firm has many years of experience in the immigration field.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . However long it takes for you to overcome the reasons for a denial.

4. C. C. Abbott

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The re-application has to be done after you have "cured" the issue that resulted in the first denital of benefits,

5. William D. Fong

Answered . Have you amended your tax returns?

6. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Answered . Assuming the problem is cured you can refile at any time. However, filing a separate tax return from your husband is not necessarily a reason for denial. There is nothing unlawful about filing a separate tax return so long as you represented yourself as being married to the IRS.

I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case and recommend how best to proceed.