How long do I have to wait if tenants do not pay their monthly rent to start procedures to remove them

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I gave tenants a letter of non-renewal of their lease which is ending on may 1, however they have not paid their rent for april. They did not pay a first and last month when they moved in. How long do I have to give them before I can post a notice on their door and file at the local magistrates office to have them removed and recover my rent and water bill payments?

1. Adam S. Bernick

1

Answered . You need to have a real estate attorney review the specific provisions of the lease as to what action to take and obtain a cost estimate for their services if you decide to proceed to court. Also, consider a background check to determine if they have other liens and judgments as collecting even if you obtain a monetary judgment may be impossible. Of course, if you merely want them out, by the time of the hearing they may have already vacated or by the time the Sheriff comes to remove them they may have left, making the litigation possibly a waste of money,