How long do I have to wait for a court call?

Asked over 2 years ago - Albuquerque, NM

I'm 16 and I was arrested for having opiates and cannabis when I was 15. I had a 20 pills total so the police officer told me it would be a felony charge of suspected distribution. I know they shouldn't be able to charge me for distribution since they were all for personal use (I didn't give any or ask anyone if they wanted one) but I'm sure if they wanted to they would without legitimate proof anyway. It's been seven months, during one I was not in the country under the assurance it was all fine by a woman I've already seen about my arrest (I'm not sure what her title is). How long can they make me wait for the call? Will they call me at all?

1. Joseph Henry Sparacino

Answered . You need to see a New Mexico attorney. The prosecutor could try to charge you as an adult with the same level of penalties. As to the pills being for personal use, the statute is not likely to be drafted based on your intent. It is more likely that the legislature determined a specific number is a personal use amount and another is a dealers supply. You may be seen as having a dealers supply even though you were buying in bulk. There is a statute of limitation to bring any criminal action. If your case were in Illinois, the State's Attorney (prosecution) has 18 months to bring the case. So, you need counsel and be prepared they may take their own sweet time.