How long do i have to sue my privet worker disability insurance for canceling the policy after injury.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

they start to pay the compensation for 3 months till they said that the investigators they sent saw me on the job site working and that was not true i just came to visit my friends from work.

1. Leonard Bernard Feld

2

Answered . Dear Madam or Sir in New York City:

You will have a hearing in front of a Judge to present evidence on your side. You should assume they filmed whatever you were doing at the job site. You could get a letter from the employer at this job saying you were not paid and did not perform any work; if he came in person for the "Trial", that would be better.

One assumes you have a lawyer, specializing in workers' compensation who has told you all this.

Good Luck

Leonard Feld

The foregoing is based on the little information provided; additional facts may change the comments given.
  2. Edgar Romano

Pro

2

Answered . You have 2 years from the date of accident to file a Worker's Compensation Claim in N.Y.S. However, it appears you received 3 months of benefits from the compensation carrier. This advance payment of compensation tolls the 2 year statute of limitations. It is very important for you to contact a Worker's Compensation attorney regarding the timely filing of a claim. The attorney is not allowed to charge you a fee for the consultation and will only get paid should they recover money for you. Best of luck!

3. Stephen Boyd

1

Answered . In general there is a 6 year statute of limitations on insurance contracts and your disability insurance is a contract. If you are talking about worker's compensation benefits, that may be an entirely different matter. You should contact a Worker's Comp attorney in your area.

4. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

1

Answered . Surely you have heard the old saying that the lawyer who represents himself, has a fool for a client. It is even more true for non-lawyers. Hire an experienced local Worker’s Compensation attorney. You will pay nothing up front, you will pay nothing additional for the attorney to represent you in the upcoming hearing, and I guarantee that an experienced Worker’s Compensation attorney will be able to negotiate more favorable settlement that you would have been able to negotiate on your own. Good luck.