How long do I have to sue a former employer for wrongful termination?

Asked over 1 year ago - Farmingdale, NY

I went to HR on a Friday to see the negative review that I received and they said that they could not get to it because it was in a large stack and needed to be filed. I was then fired on Monday.

I was told I had to "Sign" the review, but I emailed the HR person and said that the review was false . I was never told that I could contest it. I just now read something on line that if you contest then when it is under review you could not be fired. Please advise .

Thank you !

1. Russell E. Adler

Pro

2

Answered . Yo have 300 days from termination to file with the EEOC which preserves your federal rights, one year to go the division of human rights under the state law or 3 years to go to court if you just file in state court.

2. Herbert J Tan

2

Answered . You should have an experienced labor and employment attorney review the facts of your case. They may be able to negotiate a severance, if possible.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The Mack Cali Building
    One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
    Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
    (201) 849-4548

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

3. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

Answered . 300 days to preserve all your claims. Please be aware, however, that under NY law, your wrongful discharge must be related either to: (a) unlawful discrimination or retaliation; or, (b) in violation of a contract right. A generalized claim of unfairness is not covered.

Best of Luck!

Ryan Finn
    rfinn@hackermurphy.com
    Serving clients throughout New York State