How long do I have to submit a parenting plan after my ex already did so?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I didn't realize that if I don't make a parenting plan then my ex's will be used. I just now found out that he turned one in on the 18th of July. How long before they adopt his plan? Do I still have time to turn in one of my own?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes. He has to file a motion to adopt the parenting plan. If you are not sure what you are doing, you need to hire counsel -- it gets a lot more complicated from here on in.

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more
  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The court won't adopt a parenting plan without a formal hearing, at which you will be allowed to object and propose your own parenting plan. You should file your proposed PP attached to your response to his petition, or as an amendment to the petition if you filed it. You can request a temporary parenting plan by filing a motion for temporary orders. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans and motions for temporary orders for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,329 answers this week

3,298 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,329 answers this week

3,298 attorneys answering