Skip to main content

How long do I have to settle a claim on a car accident in OH?

Ironton, OH |

My two kids were involved in a car accident last year. Other driver charged. One was bruised & sore for several days. Other had an injury & treatment for a couple months. Still has some issues & was told he probably won't get any better. I went through our ins co on everything. Other ins wanted to settle after 2 days & made offer. I asked to wait on both kids until all treatment was over. I contacted them after it ended & bills were paid by my ins (8 months ago) & we have continued contact. They are still getting records so they can pay my ins co back for med bills & will get back to me. Can they drag out until it is too late for me to do anything? How long do I have to reach an agreement on the settlement? Now almost 1 year after accident.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You typically have two years from the date of the accident to file a negligence suit. Insurance companies are notorious for delaying in cases where the injured party is representing themselves long enough for the statute of limitations to run out. I would recommend that you seek the services of an attorney to assist you in the process. Personal injury attorneys will help you get the proper compensation for your family (usually more than the insurance company will even consider offering you if you go it alone). Please feel free to call me if you want to discuss this further (440) 552-5492.


2 years in OH. You may want to hire an atty to help you make sure you dont get taken advantage of. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee so you dont have to put money out of your pocket. Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

This answer is for general information only and is not intended as legal advice regarding your specific situation. In order to assess your legal matter properly and obtain legal advice, you must contact an attorney directly. Provision of this general information does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Michael Lewis Eisner

Michael Lewis Eisner


If the children are minors, their statute will toll until they turn 18. However, there may be some exceptions based on facts. I suggest she consult with an attorney immediately.


I agree with the above answer. The statute of limitations is 2 years from the date of the accident so from what it sounds like, you have another year before the statute will run. I would suggest talking to an attorney who specializes in personal injury.


Never try to resolve an accident case without a lawyer or you will either get #1. no money or #2. a tiny nuisance settlement. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Consult with a local injury lawyer asap. I never allow the ins cos unlimited access to my client's medical records. They are looking for anything they can find to use against your claim. You dont want them dealing with your health ins co as your atty probably can negotiate a reduction in the reimbursement. You kids' claims may need to get court approval. See a lawyer for free, and on percentage.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer