How long do I have to repay the state of IL?

I included a tax debt owed to the state of IL in my bankruptcy. Is there a time-frame to repay this debt? I owe $1,200.

Chicago, IL -

Henry Repay

Henry Repay

Bankruptcy Attorney - Belvidere, IL

First, were you advised by your bankruptcy counsel whether the debt was dischargeable? Income tax debts for returns that were properly filed are dischargeable in bankruptcy unless they apply to recent returns.

If the debt remains an obligation, I would start by trying to make a payment arrangement.

Sponsored Listing
Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Mokena, IL

You need to see what sort of arrangements can be made with the state. Perhaps you can even negotiate a reduction. You probably know your debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Marc Gregory Wagman

Marc Gregory Wagman

Bankruptcy Attorney - Chicago, IL

The state of Illinois will take a tax refund if you get one next year if you don't pay them. Whether the tax is dischargeable in your Chapter 7 matters. Also you should make arrangements to pay them if you bankruptcy is still pending as tax debts accrue interest. Call the state and make payments if the taxes are non-dischargeable.

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.