How long do I have to repay the state of IL?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I included a tax debt owed to the state of IL in my bankruptcy. Is there a time-frame to repay this debt? I owe $1,200.

1. Henry Repay

2

Answered . First, were you advised by your bankruptcy counsel whether the debt was dischargeable? Income tax debts for returns that were properly filed are dischargeable in bankruptcy unless they apply to recent returns.

If the debt remains an obligation, I would start by trying to make a payment arrangement.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . You need to see what sort of arrangements can be made with the state. Perhaps you can even negotiate a reduction. You probably know your debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

3. Marc Gregory Wagman

1

Answered . The state of Illinois will take a tax refund if you get one next year if you don't pay them. Whether the tax is dischargeable in your Chapter 7 matters. Also you should make arrangements to pay them if you bankruptcy is still pending as tax debts accrue interest. Call the state and make payments if the taxes are non-dischargeable.