Skip to main content

How long do I have to pay a car accident settlement? Can I make monthly payments?

Tampa, FL |

My insurance is covering their car damages but not their medical bills and now I have a settlement being filed against me and don't have the money to pay it

Attorney Answers 4


Your question is not clear. What do you mean by a “settlement filed against” you? Is the injured party after you in person? Did he/she not release you when he settled with the insurance company? I need more info to answer your question.

Attorney Fadi Chakour, M.D., J.D. My consultation is free. Call me on my cell phone (904)612-0586.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree

1 comment



Yes my insurance doesn't cover bodily injury so they are suing me for their medical expenses. and no their insurance is coming after me


From your question, it sounds like you were at fault for an accident and you or your representative entered into a settlement or you were assessed damages by a court. Absent consulting with a bankruptcy lawyer, the best approach to resolving obligations is to contact the party or party's attorney who you owe money to and work out some form of payment agreement. If the obligation is from a court judgment against you, I suggest speaking with an attorney or your insurance representative for guidance.

Mark as helpful

10 lawyers agree


There is no set time, it depends what you agreed to. Call the other lawyer and talk about it. Or, better yet, retain your own lawyer to do so.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


Work out a payment plan that you both can live with.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics