How long do I have to obtain body estimates on my vehicle after a hit and run accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Westminster, CO

When I was hit from behind and the person fled the scene the police told me they would be liable for damages when they caught the guy.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . As Colorado has recently changed from a "no fault" to a "fault" state, you are going to need to give at least 2-3 estimates for the work that needs to be done to your car for when they catch the person who did the hit and run. When I was a judge, I would average out the estimates and give you the computation of the average. So, you could go to the cheaper place and pocket some money or go to the more expensive place and have to pay a little out of pocket. I would get estimates within the next month though. Good luck.

2. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

4

Answered . If you have auto insurance check with your own insurer and find out if you have coverage that would cover a hit and run. If you have coverage then it would pay and your insurer would pursue the hit and run driver once the police find them. You need to obtain an appraisal as soon as possible because that way no one car argue that the damage occurred at a later point in time.

Pro

3

Answered . Get 3 estimates as soon as possible

4. Chris G. Hoffman

1

Answered . I agree with the advice of the other attorneys. I would add that regardless of whether your insurance company pays for the damage or the liable driver's insurance pays (assuming he/she is caught and had insurance), you have the right to have your car repaired at the body shop of your choice and typically the body shop will fight it out with the insurance company for you unless you go to one of the insurance company's "preferred" body shops that will usually go with whatever the insurance company says.